Thursday, May 8, 2008

Serious Play, Day 2



Today opened with George Smoot, winner of the 2006 Nobel Prize for Physics, and Charles Elachi, director of JPL and the president of Cal Tech, showing us the universe. Smoot discussed the ultimate design in nature: looking at the relics of creation, the dawn of the universe, in order to understand the process. Nature's design principles. Elachi presented a number of past and current activities at JPL, along with the magnificent imagery that we've come to love.

Elachi takeaway: wherever everybody else looks, look somewhere else. Look at what everyone is doing; do something else. Don't travel the path, go somewhere else and leave a trail.

My Art Center colleague, Tony Luna, responded in this way: "I makes me feel insignificant, but I also feel the importance of being able to understand the grandeur of doing something good while I'm here. Everything is so transient, but a the same time, I have hope. I've always been fascinated by the universe, and to see Dr. Elachi explain it in everyday terms makes me feel like I belong."

No comments: